momstown Kitchener-Waterloo

momstown.ca is for Kitchener-Waterloo moms and surrounding area moms throughout the Waterloo Region such as Elmira moms, Baden moms, Ayr moms, St. Jacobs moms, and Breslau moms wanting to connect for support, conversation and just plain fun. Our blog features some of our 25+ events monthly for moms and kids aged 0-6 years old. See more at http://kitchener-waterloo.momstown.ca

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Why Twitter? Why Tweet?

Where else can you jump into a room full of people all waiting to hear what you have to say? Where is it encouraged to jump right into a conversation, even interrupt a conversation? Where you can engage with ANYONE that you want, regardless of career choice, status, gender, age or any of those other usually limiting factors? And even more importantly for a Work from Home Business owner, where can you walk into a room and network while still sitting at home in your pj's? TWITTER! That's where.


 
Twitter has changed my business in so many ways; so many that I probably can't count or reference them all. BUT what I can tell you is that I have made a lot of meaningful relationships, business partnerships and even local friends that I wouldn't have met otherwise. I just wouldn't have. And I can't omit 2 ladies on there that have touched my heart. Not in a charity way, but just in their struggles...but alas that's a whole other blog post :)
If I hear one more time, that Twitter is silly because its just people talking about going to the bathroom, I swear, I am going to show up at their house and force them to have just one conversation on Twitter. Just one. Yes, I believe you need to give Twitter an average of 3 months investment to really see its benefits, but just one conversation could be all they need. One conversation, one engagement, one new relationship, for the skeptic to be convinced. I could easily go on and on about all the things that Twitter has taught me, where it has led me, how many followers I have and how many sanity checks it has given me but that's not the purpose of this blog post. People do care what you have to say and people do want to engage with YOU.
Recently I have gone to the #140 Characters Conference (yes, that's a hashtag I just dropped in there) in Kitchener and the Blissdom Conference in Toronto. I have been to a few local tweet-ups as well. And I have to be honest, it’s such a great feeling to walk into a room of people and either have them meet you in person for the first time OR be greeted with a How Are You. These are people that I would not have met without Twitter. Local people that are in my backyard that I would not have met. Businesses from further away that I for sure wouldn't have met. And how do they all know me, from my twitter handle "momstownKW".
Far and near, male and female, small and big, friend or foe, mom or dad, big brand or small entrepreneur, they have all changed my business. They know me and my business and I know theirs. We are talking and we are engaging on Twitter. These conversations allow us to bond, network and share. Then we will share that knowledge of these businesses with all of our followers, friends, business partners, clients and family. This is Twitter. Sharing, support and engaging, not updates about going to the washroom. Not regular updates about the latest promo you have to offer. Sharing, supporting and engaging. And you don't even have to get dressed if you don't want to. Now tweet that!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah twitter gives an effective platform for developing business connections


    Math Worksheets

    ReplyDelete